Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Camp Rap-A-Hope was AWESOME!

Dillan attended Camp Rap-A-Hope this year for the first time. He wasn't sure if he wanted to go so being the mean mom that I am I decided for him. I absolutely do not regret my decision. He was a nervous-wreck on our way to drop him off.


Once we arrived and went thorough the check-in process I could tell Dillan's nerves were beginning to settle a little. We ran into one of his classmate's big sister, Sydney.  She's been before and was ready to show him the ropes. 


Then two of his counselors, Matt and Will, came over and told him he better be ready for a week of fun!  Ice cream before bed every night, fishing, horseback riding, no chores, swimming and many more things would make this an awesome week. 


As he went off ready for fun (with a little anxiety on being away from home) we left to head home without him. I'd be lying if I said I was perfectly fine with all of it but in my heart I knew he needed this experience and forced myself to drive away. Every once and a while I allow myself a weak moment and that Sunday was one of them. I knew Dillan was going to be well taken care of and he was going to have an incredible week but I cried just the same. 
Monday morning I receive a phone call from Melissa, Camp Rap-A-Hope's Executive Director, to check on me and let me know Dillan was doing great! I was touched she called to see how I was doing and extremely happy he was having fun. 
Tuesday my friend and fellow Gifted Ed Teacher, Talia, was at camp and checked on Dillan. She snapped a picture of him having a good time. I appreciated another update and cute picture of him with one of his favorite counselors, Brandon. 


Dillan knew a friend of ours from church, Whitney, would be making breakfast for all the campers and USA Children's and Women's provided breakfast on Wednesday. Whitney said he ate really well and gave her a big hug. From what Dillan said they had very good food throughout the week provided by many local businesses and groups. The Pilot Family, the owners of Camp Grace, not only donated the week at Camp Grace but also cooked something very yummy, too!

Two of our local news stations came out and filmed the campers enjoying a week of fun! Fox10's story Camp Rap-A-Hope is Underway and WKRG's story Summer Camp Inspires Children Diagnosed with Cancer

On Friday in the mail a very sweet surprise arrived. The postcard from Dillan made me so happy and the postcard from his counselor, Joe, made me very proud. 


The week flew by and when Saturday morning arrived I was up bright and early, ready to pick Dillan up so we could hear about all the fun he had. We pulled up to find him running around and enjoying spending his last morning with the counselors he grew to love over the week. These special men and women came from various parts of the country to spend the week with Dillan and the other 77 campers and ensure they all had a fabulously fun week. I am in awe of them. We snapped a picture or two before we gathered Dillan's belongings. 



He wanted to make sure we took pictures with as many camp counselors and staff as we could before he left. 




He had an amazing week including a visit from the tooth fairy! As we were hearing about his week he remembered his newly lost tooth and showed me where he has a new temporarily empty space. When he told me the tooth fairy visited him I was overwhelmed. Words can not convey how much everything everyone did to make his week special means to Tim and I. I know "making" him attend camp was the right thing to do. He knows he is not alone and other kids understand what he's going through. We all wish all types of cancer could be cured but until then I am thankful God inspired everyone associated with Camp Rap-A-Hope to do all they do to have "Fun for Kids with Cancer!"

No comments:

Post a Comment